The Glamourist - Luanne G. Smith

I picked up the previous book in this series (The Vine Witch) when it was on offer on Amazon and enjoyed it, so thought I'd check this one out when it turned up on Netgalley. Like the previous book, this one is set in turn of the century France, but a France where magic is real and lives alongside everyday life - it's an immediate sequel too, so will make much more sense in terms of characters if you've already read The Vine Witch.

In The Glamourist, the focus shifts mostly from Elena our previous eponymous character, to one of the women with whom she was imprisoned briefly when accused of murder in the previous book. Elena has come to Paris with her now-fiancee to meet his mother and plan for their wedding, only to bump into Yvette - she's still on the run after escaping from prison and also trying to address the gaps in her past.

While Elena plays a significant part, this is very much Yvette's book and I guess I just don't find teenagers as interesting. The character of Jean-Paul gets significantly sidelined, whereas in The Vine Witch I really liked his gradual realisation that magic was real and what that meant for his relationship with Elena. That change of focus and the setting just didn't keep my interest as much as the previous book managed.

Elena herself is trying to address historical issues as well - her parents were executed for murder, so her family has a reputation for using poison and this is contradictory for a woman who wants to work with vines. She's given an ultimatum: help the authorities capture Yvette or lose the chance to work with vines again. However, since the focus was very much on Yvette, this ended up feeling like a minor plot point and didn't really get much action.

Once again we get the odd French word thrown in as the story goes along, which jolts a little at times. All in all, The Glamourist just didn't quite work as well for me as the previous book in the series, hence the 3-star rating.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a free copy of this book, which was received in exchange for an honest review.