Midnight Blue-Light Special - Seanan McGuire

Since I have the series now (courtesy of the Hugo voter packet), I thought I'd push on and read at least this one and the next one (Half-Off Ragnarok) before I make a decision about whether to finish the series...

This book carries on in the aftermath of Discount Armageddon, with the dust having just about settled from the events described there - the bar where Verity has been working has now been turned into a modern-day freakshow to exploit the gullible and Verity herself is just about coming to terms with the fact that her dance career has stalled completely. She's also still shagging Dominic, who's been sent by the Covenant to see if New York needs purging of its cryptid populace, despite the fact that his character is still pretty much cardboard with a pretty face.

Anyway, in this book, the Covenant decide to check up on Dominic's apparently half-arsed survey of the city and send along a bunch of more efficient operatives to see what's actually going on. This leads to a lot of time for Verity going round and warning the local cryptid populace that Bad Things Are Coming, while also angsting about her boyfriend and which side he'll choose when the chips are down. It also leads to her spending a chunk of the book either unconscious or naked and being tortured for information by moustache-twirling Covenant lackies, so if the latter is an issue for you then you might want to pass on by.

So, I'm going to read Half-Off Ragnarok, as it introduces Verity's brother - we'll see if I find that less annoying and then I'll make a decision on the rest of the series...