The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue - Mackenzi Lee

It's never a good sign when, a few days after finishing a book, I'm struggling to remember what it was about in order to do it justice in a review - The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue is one of those books, unfortunately. It's entertaining enough and I enjoyed reading it, but it also suffered from a main character who is (to me, anyway) usually more annoying than charming and a tendency to throw everything but the kitchen sink in to the plot, just in case...

The basic premise is that our main character, Monty, is about to depart on his Grand Tour in the way that all well-heeled young men of the Regency period were wont to do, in his case accompanied by his best friend (and unrequited love interest) Percy. They've also been given the task of depositing Monty's sister at a finishing school on the way and given strict instructions about what they can and can't do. Likewise, at the end of their time together, Percy is supposed to be going off to university in Holland and Monty is already bemoaning that separation.

After Monty follows his dick into trouble in Paris, as well as proving himself to be more than a little light-fingered, trouble starts to follow them. The trio end up separated from their chaperone and on the run, as well as a few things about Percy coming into the open. This is where, for me, the plot starts to go off the rails a bit and the author really should have considered not throwing twelve more plot ideas into the book just in case.

I almost gave this book 3 stars instead of 4 because of Monty, who is pretty much insufferable most of the time. It's rescued by the character of Felicity, who has all the common sense her brother lacks, while Percy still remains a bit two-dimensional at times. Anyway, apparently there's another book which follows on from this one but from Felicity's point of view - The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy - due out later in 2018.