The White City  - Simon Morden

This is the follow-up to Down Station, which I reviewed earlier this year, again kindly supplied to me by my local library. Life got to me a bit, all the recent stupid political shenanigans in particular, so I was starting to wonder if I'd actually make my target for the reading challenge this year!

Anyway, the basic premise of The White City and its predecessor is that a bunch of folks from modern day London have found themselves in a mysterious place called Down where things don't work quite as they expect. For starters, there is magic and one of our group ends up being able to change into an enormous bird and light fires with her mind, and secondly the place is inhabited by people who have come from London in other times through portals like theirs.

When we first return to Down, our main characters (Mary and Dalip) are engaged in a plan to try and create an overall map of the place and are both assisted and impeded by Crows, who always seems to have plans of his own. Both Mary and Dalip have made difficult decisions along the way, and fortunately there's significantly less this time around of Mary reminiscing about her childhood in care (which I'd thought could make a fine, but liver-threatening, drinking game in Down Station).

This time around there's also dissension with the group who've come through with Mary and Dalip, with one of them blaming her for an unexpected death, which in turn leads to problems further down the line. Mary and Crows go in search of the eponymous White City, which Crows promises will answer all their questions, only to discover it occupied by those responsible for setting up the portals in the first place. There are definitely answers, but probably not the ones that anyone is looking for, and they set up for further books set in the same universe with a bit of a cliffhanger about what exactly is happening in Down.

Anyway, I wasn't massively smitten with The White City, but it's not the worst thing I've ever read and it kept me interested so there's that. I'll probably check out any future books in this series, but I don't think I'd be buying them directly (rather than via my council tax).