A Conspiracy of Ravens - Lila Bowen

Last year, I read the first book in this series (Wake of Vultures) and was absolutely blown away by it - it was definitely one of the best books I read in 2015 and was also one of the most original. So I'd been waiting for Conspiracy of Ravens to come out for almost a year and finally got my hands on it a little while ago, courtesy of my local library...

This book pretty much carries on from where Wake of Vultures left off, with Rhett having killed the Cannibal Owl and trying to come to terms with who he is as a shapeshifter. All he knows is that he becomes some kind of enormous bird of prey, but initially he's quite concerned that when he's the bird, he doesn't really want to change back and be human again. While in the desert, Rhett encounters another shapeshifter who turns out to be an escapee from a railroad gang which is pretty much functioning on forced labour - Earl is desperate for the Rangers to help him rescue his brother and hopefully also kill the man in charge, who is using various body parts for magical purposes.

Initially reluctant, Rhett is swayed by the idea of dealing out justice and also the possibility that there's a healer in that camp who can help one of his other friends. Earl also helps Rhett to start to get some control over his changes between man and bird, and Rhett eventually infiltrates the railroad camp with a view to putting a particular plan into action. Naturally, because Conspiracy of Ravens is part of a series, things don't go completely as Rhett hopes and so sets up the storyline for the next book.

More great writing, maybe with a little more implied sex than was really necessary, but a total page-turner. I can't wait to see what Rhett does next and I hope Book 3 comes out soon!