The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol. 1: Squirrel Power - Ryan North, Erica Henderson The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol. 2: Squirrel You Know It's True - Marvel Comics The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol. 3: Squirrel, You Really Got Me Now - Erica Henderson, Ryan North

I really only got into graphic novels in recent years, but I'm heartened (or possibly concerned, I'm not sure which) to see them creep across the shelf of my bookcase where they all live as time passes. While it's true that graphic novels don't have to be about superheroes (and if you don't take my word for that, go read Saga or The Wicked and the Divine and see if you're not convinced) some of the best still are...

Which is where we come to talking about Doreen Green, star of The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, whose adventures I've been reading with much enjoyment - I recently read volume 3, with collections also having the virtue of gathering together assorted issues of other comic runs which might be relevant (so, for volume 3, an issue of Howard the Duck since there was a crossover).

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl is another example of talented writers and artists taking a character and making it their own, much like the current Ms Marvel run which has introduced and developed the amazing Kamala Khan. Doreen Green lives in the attic at Avengers Mansion and has recently started college, but still has time to battle against and alongside a wide range of classic Marvel villains and heroes. To date, by volume 3, we've already seen Doreen deal with Dr Doom, discuss her X-Men fanfic with Wolverine and travel back in time to the 1960's.

For me, the highlight of any issue is the footnotes, which can be found at the bottom of pretty much every page, full of in-jokes and references back to previous events. It's this, along with the liveliness of the writing and sheer obvious pleasure taken by everyone involved in making a viable superhero out of someone with the relative powers of a squirrel, that makes Unbeatable Squirrel Girl such a pleasure to read every time I get my hands on another volume. So, get ready to eat nuts and kick butts! :P