Goblin Moon: Mask and Dagger 1 - Teresa Edgerton

First of a two-part series (concluding in Hobgoblin Night), there's nothing particularly ground-breaking going on in Goblin Moon but what's there is done so competently you find yourself not caring about that.

Like many fantasy novels, Goblin Moon is set in a faux-Regency world of heiresses, mysterious guilds and masked balls, but one where dwarves and fairies (known as the Fee) live alongside humans in relative harmony. For much of the book there are effectively two story-lines running parallel, linked by the people involved: Jed, who starts off scavenging from the river with his great-uncle, and Sera whose grandfather is that great-uncle's best friend. Jed ends up bettering himself by landing a job with a dwarf glassmaker, while Sera is the companion to a young woman who everyone is trying to either control or marry off (or both!). Meanwhile their relatives have got themselves into trouble with something that Jed helped pull from the river at the beginning of the story...

There's also an element of the Scarlet Pimpernel going on here, with a nobleman character going about in (not always very good) disguise righting wrongs, who naturally falls for our main female character. I'm a little disconcerted whenever 'all he needs is the love of a good woman' comes up as a way of changing someone, but we'll see how it all works out in Hobgoblin Night before I start worrying about Sera. At the moment, she's a strongly-written and competent character who is quite capable of rescuing herself most of the time, unless the odds are truly stacked against her.

Anyway, though I can't remember how it was I even came to download this particular book (thanks to whoever it was who first recommended it to me!), the sequel is now on my wishlist and will doubtless turn up being reviewed here at some point...