Just One Damned Thing After Another - Jodi Taylor

To be perfectly honest I'm left feeling a bit unsure about how I feel about Just One Damned Thing After Another. It's the first book in a series a couple of people had recommended to me over the past few years, so I thought I'd give it a crack when it was there on Amazon Kindle when it was there for the princely sum of 99p and I had some credit. In some ways, it sounded like something I might well like, this idea of historians and time travel, so it wasn't too much of a stretch to say it could be something that would work for me.

And indeed, there were bits of the book that really did keep me turning the pages, including the author's use of descriptive language along the way (and particularly during the period when our protagonist is in the Cretaceous period for an extended stay). On the other hand, however, are the things that made me not want to continue - for starters, I'm not a big fan of sexual assault as a plot point. If I hadn't been a significant way through the book when that cropped up, I probably would have stopped there.

I should probably also say that, since this book is in first person and there's also a serious chunk of unreliable narrator action going on, the romantic sub-plot left me with whiplash. Likewise, the ongoing use of click-bait 'oh, he's such a nice guy, what a shame about what's going to happen to him shortly' gets a bit wearing after the third or fourth occasion. The overall body-count is quite high too, which may not work for some people and was starting to grate on me by the time I reached the end.

Anyway, overall I'd say it's not my cup of tea so I'm not going to be continuing with this series, though it continues on regardless without me in A Symphony of Echoes