Binary - Stephanie Saulter Regeneration - Stephanie Saulter The Goblin Emperor - Katherine Addison Sorcerer to the Crown - Zen Cho The Fifth Season - N.K. Jemisin The House of Shattered Wings - Aliette de Bodard Ancillary Mercy - Ann Leckie Wake of Vultures - Lila Bowen

So, it's that time of year and I thought I would give a mention to the best things I've read this year - they're all SFF, by the way so if that's not your thing, then pass on by. Here are the books I read for the first time this year which got 5* from me:

Wake of Vultures by Lila Bowen - I didn't expect to be anything like as thrilled by this book as I was, since it deftly avoided a bunch of YA and other genre cliches and made me really want to know what happens in the next book!

The Fifth Season by NK Jemisin - utterly stunning writing, this is the start of a new trilogy and it left me spinning a little when I read it. Alas, the next book in the series (The Obelisk Gate) is not out till later next year.

Ancillary Mercy by Ann Leckie - a wonderful conclusion to a great series, I really hope the author returns to this universe (and ideally, these characters) sometime in the future because there's still so much to be said...

The House of Shattered Wings by Aliette de Bodard - magic and fallen angels in a Paris devastated by a magical war, it's absolutely stunning and left me going 'what?' at various points.

Sorceror to the Crown by Zen Cho - what a great first novel and such a tough act to follow for this particular author! Regency London with magic but also diversity and the repercussions of that magic around the world, not just England.

Binary and Regeneration by Stephanie Saulter - books 2 and 3 in her trilogy, these are stunning future-London stories where people are dealing (not often all that well) with genetic engineering.

The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison - a beautifully-written fantasy of manners with a main character who grows and learns as the book goes on. Loved this book, was disappointed it didn't win what would have been a richly-deserved Hugo.