Tremontaine: The Dagger and the Sword (episode 5) - Ellen Kushner, Joel Derfner, Racheline Maltese, Malinda Lo, Alaya Dawn Johnson, Patty Bryant Tremontaine: A Fair Hand (episode 6) - Ellen Kushner, Joel Derfner, Racheline Maltese, Malinda Lo, Alaya Dawn Johnson, Patty Bryant

I have to admit that I enjoyed episode 5 a little less than episode 6, but then it was centred around a difficult concept to convey in print or via reading - a series of duels between Kaab and various bravos in Riverside so Kaab could decide if any of them were worthy of becoming the new protector for the woman Kaab is in love with.

Both these episodes are seeing the chickens starting to come home to roost: the Duchess now knows that her husband is having an affair with Will and is determined to do something about it, that something in this case beginning with insisting on directing Will from very close quarters in terms of the production of invitations to her annual Swan Ball. Meanwhile, once the matter of Tess the Hand's new protector is settled (and it's good to see Applethorpe make an appearance, even if knowing him from Swordspoint means we know something bad is going to happen to him between now and when that book is set) Kaab tries to get herself back in her family's good books by discovering just what's going on when they receive an unexpected invitation.

To be perfectly honest, Micah is still my absolute favourite character and I particularly liked the (extremely reasonable) explanation for why everyone at the university thinks Micah is a boy and her obsession with the importance of turnips. I can't say I share Micah's love for that particular vegetable, but it's almost infectious.

Still immensely enjoying the audio versions of each episode, even though that means it's substantially more of a time commitment than a 45-50 page ebook would be. The things we do for love! :P