Bitch Planet Volume 1 - Kelly Sue DeConnick, Robert Wilson IV, Valentine De Landro

I grew up reading comics, mostly Spider-Man and other Marvel titles, but also stuff like 2000AD and Captain Britain (yes, I know that I'll be one of the few people reading this who remember him...) so it was probably inevitable that I'd end up coming back to them one day. I'll probably do a reading list at some point with my favourites, as there's much more to graphic novels (aren't we grown-up?) than just superheroes, though there's plenty of them too!

I've tried to be strong and only buy trade paperbacks, rather than have a weekly pull-list, and so far it's served me well, as has reading by recommendation rather than just diving into whatever's out there. And that's how I ended up with a copy of Bitch Planet volume 1, as well as having read and enjoyed stuff by KellySue Deconnick before.

Anyway, the premise of Bitch Planet is that it's set in a future dystopia where women in particular are policed heavily - our newly incarcarated characters' crimes (all under the overall title of 'non compliance') vary from disobeying patriarchal authority through to driving your husband to have an affair through to obesity. Alongside this, a major form of entertainment is a ballgame in which one of the main players has recently been killed and when the people behind it see the engagement figures that creates, they get an idea about getting a team of women prisoners to play as well.

This is, of course, just the first 5 issues of Bitch Planet collected, but already it's setting up a universe where being different alone is enough to get you in major trouble and what the powers that be say and actually do are very different too. I look forward to seeing where this storyline goes...