The Kingdom of Gods - N.K. Jemisin

The third and final book in this series, The Kingdom of Gods is a real doorstop-sized volume and for the amount of plot crammed into it, that's definitely needed. In the previous volumes, The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms and The Broken Kingdoms, we've seen the aftermath of the Gods War, with gods and godlings first enslaved to the Arameri family and then the repercussions after they were set free.

In The Kingdom of Gods, we move again further into the future of that family - another 3 or 4 generations - and our story is told from the perspective of one of those gods. Sieh is a trickster, a god of children and mischief, who unexpectedly finds himself forming an attachment to two Arameri children. Sieh starts to become mortal and age, an unpleasant experience for one who has always been a child. His relationship with the two children (Shahar and Dekarta) is a troubled one at times, as he believes it is in their nature to be cruel and Shahar at least seems to support that view by her actions.

As with the previous book, this personal drama is set against the backdrop of larger changes, with the Arameri's rule being challenged and eventually overthrown by the use of magic. Sieh is not the most reliable of narrators, so sometimes his actions and his motivations don't necessarily sit well together, but his relationship with Dekarta in particular is lovely. So, as you can probably tell, I really enjoyed this series and would highly recommend it - I have a couple of NK Jemisin's other books waiting for me on my bookshelf and another (The Fifth Season, starting a new trilogy) is due out soon, so you can probably expect to see further reviews of her work here at some point in the future!