The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie - Alan Bradley
Another first-book-in-series experience, which is always a bit of a lottery, if I'm perfectly honest.

Our protagonist is a precocious 10 year old, Flavia de Luce, a self-taught chemical genius and all round know-it-all and the story of 'The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie' is all told from her perspective. When a dead body is found in the garden and a dead bird on the kitchen doorstep with a stamp impaled on its beak, Flavia soon becomes embroiled in the mystery, particularly as her father appears to be the main suspect.

For me, where this story falls down is in two aspects: firstly Flavia herself, who is a little too knowledgeable about everything, and then secondly in the author's use of a lengthy conversation between Flavia and her father which serves as an infodump to explain the plot and backstory. This is one of the downsides of using restricted third person as a way of writing, regardless of whether or not the narrator is reliable (on which in this case the jury is still out) - because the reader can only know what Flavia knows, there are few ways to pass on significant chunks of information.

The series continues with The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag and I'm afraid Flavia and I will be parting company prior to that...