Justice Calling - Annie Bellet

At least the write-up on here is honest about the length of this - just over 100 pages - even if the Kindle version is padded out with a couple of chapters of the next book. That's common practice, but a little disingenuous to then add it in to the overall length and make the original story seem longer than it actually is.

Anyway, on to the actual story rather than its packaging.

It's never good when my first thoughts are 'I really wanted to like this' but that's the case for this series. I have to be honest, I have had my fill of feisty first-person urban fantasy, only currently making an exception for Patricia Briggs' series featuring Mercy Thompson. While I liked aspects of this book, the main character didn't really seem 3-D enough, more a bunch of stereotypes thrown together without really fleshing them out. Same went for pretty much all of the other characters, with a quite heavy-handed romance storyline paying out much too quickly all things considered.

Yep, as I'm writing this I've just gone from 3 stars down to 2. Don't think I'll be back.