Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West - Gregory Maguire
Picked this one up by chance as I happened to be in a library branch that had it and I've always been a sucker for reading stuff in order.

The basic premise of Wicked is that it's the story of Elphaba, the Witch of the West, chronicling her childhood and early life right through to the death of her sister in a freak house-related accident. It essentially takes a familiar tale and tells it from the other side, attempting to demonstrate that not everything is quite as it seems on first appearance.

Or at least I understand that's what Wicked is meant to do, but since I couldn't even manage to get halfway through it before getting bored and going to find something else to read, you'll have to take my word for it. The Amazon reviews seem to indicate this is either a book you love or hate - I'm not sure I could summon up enough enthusiasm to hate it, so my overall verdict is 'meh'.

The series continues with Son of a Witch and it will probably come as no surprise given the above that I can't see myself be reading it, or indeed anything else from this author any time soon...