Stolen  - Kelley Armstrong
This is the second book in Armstrong's 'Women of the Otherworld' series, following on from Bitten.

As with Bitten, the protagonist in Stolen is Elena, the only female werewolf in existence - female werewolves can only be made, not born, and rarely survive being bitten in the first place. Elena becomes the target of a shadowy research organisation that is trying to establish just what else is out there and how to deal with it, and it's not long before both Elena and her Pack are up to their necks in other people's troubles.

As with the previous book, Stolen avoids some of the urban fantasy cliches, particularly since Elena herself is more than capable of acting with agency all the way through the storyline - she may have a strong (if slightly ambivalent) romantic attachment but that doesn't stop her from being the driving force in the overall plot.

I enjoyed this book very much and look forward to reading more in the series, although apparently at least the next book (Dime Store Magic) turns its focus away from Elena and her Pack and towards characters who first make an appearance in Stolen. Unfortunately, it's not the supporting characters I found most intriguing, so it'll be interesting to see if Armstrong can keep my attention from here on in...