Mister Monday  - Garth Nix
After reading and absolutely loving the Abhorsen books, it was only a matter of time before I got around to the other books Nix has written, including the series of 7 that starts with this volume.

In Mister Monday, we first meet Arthur Penhaligon, a rather ordinary schoolboy with troubling asthma who has a near-death experience where he is apparently visited by the eponymous Mister Monday. That individual gives Arthur the small hand of a clock, telling him that it has miraculous powers, thus saving his life but also plunging him into both danger and adventure. Alongside Arthur's world, there is another world ruled by the inhabitants of a mysterious house that Arthur can now both see and enter.

I very much enjoyed Mister Monday, though unlike the previous books I have read by this author the alternate world Arthur finds himself in is much more mechanical than mystical, more linked to the worlds below the Wall in the Abhorsen novels. I look forward to reading more of this series, which continues with Grim Tuesday.