Something from the Nightside - Simon R. Green
Another first book of series, this one urban fantasy and running along very similar lines to the Felix Castor books by Mike Carey I've been enjoying.

In Something From the Nightside, we first meet our protagonist John Taylor in self-imposed exile in London. The Nightside, a place where it's always just before dawn, is only a few footsteps away but Taylor has left it behind him, or so he thinks. He's making a living finding things, since he has a gift in that line, when he's approached by a wealthy woman whose daughter has disappeared into the Nightside and the promise of a large paypacket makes Taylor change his mind.

It's an interesting enough premise, with good world-building going on, but somehow (unlike the afore-mentioned Felix Castor books) I find it hard to have any empathy for Taylor and therefore summon up a great deal of interest in whether he a) survives this book, which he clearly does in order to ensure there's a series, and b) what happens next. I found some of the supporting characters much more interesting than our protagonist, which is rarely a good sign. The next in the series is [b:Agents of Light and Darkness|155291|Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside, #2)|Simon R. Green|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5104BX75ZDL._SL75_.jpg|149899], and I can't say I'll be going out of my way to get hold of it.