Little Brother - Cory Doctorow
I'm starting to work my way through some of the ebooks I've acquired (all legitimately, before anyone asks!) and this was one of them, courtesy of Mr Doctorow's own website iirc.

The basic premise of Little Brother is about surveillance and the steps taken by a government that they justify because of the war on terror - in this case, our protagonist is Marcus, a teenager living in a world where there are more and more controls over communication and less and less room for individuality.

He's in the wrong place at the wrong time when a terrorist attack strikes a bridge in San Francisco and is taken into custody and tortured by a shadowy government agency. When he's finally released, he's warned to watch his step but then becomes instrumental in setting up a covert network of communication, just because he can.

Sadly, about three-quarters of the way through, the pacing of the book really seems to fall apart and it's hard to see where Doctorow wants to go with it. There's also the sudden introduction of something of a romantic sub-plot to cope with, which also doesn't help. All in all, Little Brother is an interesting read but not a book I could see myself returning to.