The Suspicions Of Mr Whicher Or The Murder At Road Hill House - Kate Summerscale
This is another rarity in my reading list, a non-fiction book, though it's about a real Victorian murder mystery so that probably counts as a genre book too.

The eponymous Mr Whicher is a detective at the newly-formed Scotland Yard, summoned to Wiltshire to help investigate the kidnapping and murder of a child, the youngest son of the owner of Road Hill House. From the outset, it's clear that it's an 'inside job', as although attempts are made to make it look like someone has broken in and stolen the boy, it soon becomes apparent that only the inhabitants of the house could have done it.

Unfortunately for the detective in question, although he comes to a conclusion (which turns out, in the much longer term to be the correct one, or so it seems...), the outcome of his investigations is not what polite society wants to believe. As a result, he's personally ridiculed in the press and his reputation destroyed.

The Suspicions of Mr Whicher won a number of awards and has sold by the bucketload, but for me it was ultimately a little unsatisfying - that may be partly because of the amount of padding the author needs to get the context across, much of which was superfluous for me given that I have a grasp of the period already. It also looks like it's a much more substantial tale than it actually is, given the degree of exposition involved and the lengthy reference section at the back of the book.