Evans Above - Rhys Bowen
Picked this one up as a bookswap, as I'm always on the lookout for first books of new series so I can try stuff out...

There's a comment on the cover of Evans Above that likens the series to the Hamish Macbeth novels of MC Beaton and that should have told me everything I needed to know about this one. Like the aforementioned novels, Evans Above is about a big-city police officer coming to a small village, this time in the heart of Snowdonia.

The eponymous Evans becomes involved in a mystery when two bodies are found on the mountain and there seems to be a connection with the death years before of a soldier on training manoeuvres. Naturally, his superior officer doesn't really pay much attention to Evans' theorising and equally naturally, Evans is right and there is a connection.

Evans Above is an enjoyable enough read, even if Bowen pretty much telegraphed who is responsible very early on (or maybe I'm just good at picking these things up?), requiring very little in the way of mental engagement. The series continues in Evan Help Us and clearly this is a series to avoid if you're allergic to bad puns in titles.