Night Life  - Caitlin Kittredge
Sometimes I wonder if it's the triumph of hope over experience that has me reading so many first books in series, only to give up on the rest of them after that initial attempt? Not all series, not even in the crowded paranormal romance/urban fantasy market, but so many just don't quite make the grade.

Unfortunately, 'Night Life' is one of them. Let's start with the basics, shall we? Our protagonist is a cop (apparently the only female cop in the entire city!), as well as being a female werewolf without a pack (though only her immediate boss knows this). She becomes involved in a series of occult-based murders where young women have been killed and then ritually mutilated and soon figures out that Something Bad is going on.

Add one requisite uber-macho pack leader, a bunch of corrupt cops who only want her to fail because she has girl parts (rather than, of course, because she ever behaves like a complete jackass), a cousin with magical powers and the traditional Troubled Past and there you basically have it. If you find bikers with Fu Manchu moustaches (seriously!) sexy rather than risible, this might be a book for you.

The series continues in 'Pure Blood' but this is one I won't be continuing with, as the overall stupidity level is far too high for me to tolerate - if you want a better series than this (and why wouldn't you?), then I'd say you can't really go wrong with Patricia Briggs' books featuring Mercy Thompson (the series starts with 'Moon Called'), which are infinitely better written and have a much more competent and self-reliant heroine.