Ashes of the Elements  - Alys Clare
This is the second book in this series, following on from Fortune Like the Moon and featuring the sleuthing duo of Abbess Helewise and Josse D'Acquin.

The abbess has a nasty surprise waiting for her at the edge of the nearby forest when she literally trips over the corpse of a local man, who was killed (in the opinion of the stereotypical incompetent local lawman) by the mysterious 'forest people'. On his return from France, Josse finds himself drawn into the mystery, not to mention trying to figure out exactly where two wayward charges of the nunnery come into all of this.

Unfortunately, while I quite liked the first book in this series, I found this one more difficult to enjoy. While I'm by no means a prude, there's a sex scene in the middle of the book that the writer lingers on a little too much for my liking, and she's also already playing the whole 'is there a woman beneath the nun's robes?' card too heavily. I doubt I'll be going out of my way to read any more of this series, which continues with The Tavern in the Morning.