Embers  - Abigail Hilton
Another bargain ebook that turned out to be much better than I expected, this is the first of a trilogy (so far), set in a fantasy world quite different than anything I've seen before. The world in question is a series of islands, under the rule of a mysterious religious order, and inhabited by grishnards (human from the waist up, griffin below) and other shelts (part-human and part various animals).

Our protagonist, Gerard, is an exiled prince who finds himself thrown into the position of captain of police, working closely with Silveo, an admiral with a chip on his shoulder. Not only is the police force Gerard inherits notoriously corrupt, Silveo seems determined to get him killed and there's a rebellion in the offing.

If there's one downside to 'The Guild of the Cowry Catchers' it's that this particular volume of the series appears to just stop. No real resolution, just a bit of a teasing introduction to the next book, which is a little vexing. Still, it was all intriguing enough for me to buy the two books that are currently available, The Guild of the Cowry Catchers, Book 2: Flames, Deluxe Illustrated Edition and The Guild of the Cowry Catchers, Book 3: Ashes, Deluxe Illustrated Edition, so I guess the teaser worked?