A Test Of Wills - Charles Todd
I'm pretty OCD about reading books in series order and this is the first in a series I'd heard about but never got around to picking up...

'A Test of Wills' is set in the aftermath of World War I, with our protagonist returning from the war to take up his previous post as a detective inspector at Scotland Yard. He'd been an officer, of course, and during his time at the Somme had been forced to have one of his men executed for cowardice in the face of the enemy; this man, Hamish McLean, now haunts Rutledge as a mocking voice in the back of his mind.

His first case on returning to work, as outlined in this book, couldn't be a worse fit for Rutledge as it involves the murder of one war hero potentially by another, with the only witness a fellow sufferer of shell shock. What Rutledge doesn't realise is that he's been given the case, not because of his experience pre-war but in the hope that he'll fail and destroy his own career in the process.

The only problem with this book, which is pretty well written otherwise with some twists I didn't see coming, is the way that point of view jumps around, sometimes from paragraph to paragraph. That can be quite distracting as it's not quite enought to figure out what's going on but still enough to throw off the reader. The series continues in 'Wings of Fire' and I expect I'll be adding it to my list of things to pick up if I get the chance...